Request Request an Appointment Forms Complete Our Forms Find Us Like Us on Facebook Reviews Leave a Google Review Call Map
Learn About Our Commitment To Your Safety

Dental Implant Failure & Salvage – Bensalem, PA

Rescuing Your Restored Smile

Woman with failed dental implant in Bensalem

When you consider the success rate for initial dental implant placement (95%), you can feel confident that your experience will most likely result in complete success. However, for the other 5%, there can be complications that arise depending on the status of a person’s oral health as well as their lifestyle habits and other unique factors. Should you suffer a failed dental implant in Bensalem, trust that Dr. Gutman and our team at Perfect Smiles of Bensalem are here to implement dental implant salvage to save your smile. We know these permanent prosthetics are a significant investment, which is why we will work hard to get your smile back on track as quickly as we can. If you’re concerned about your dental implants, don’t hesitate to call our office today.

Why Do Dental Implants Fail?

Failed dental implant in Bensalem

Peri-implantitis is often the most common reason dental implants fail. When bacteria form inside the mouth because of poor oral hygiene or dry mouth, they can begin to attack the soft oral tissues surrounding your teeth and dental implants. Once an infection develops, the tissues will worsen as well as your jawbone. This leads to dental implant loosening, which will likely result in us removing your implants.

It is also possible for any of the following three reasons to cause dental implant failure:

  • Failed osseointegration that doesn’t allow the implant and bone to fuse
  • Severe head trauma that negatively affects your dental implant
  • You have an autoimmune disorder that makes it difficult for your body’s immune system to properly support your new teeth

Symptoms of Failed Dental Implants

Man with tooth pain in Bensalem

Unsure if what you’re experiencing is a failed dental implant? While it’s most common for this to occur immediately following placement, symptoms may not form until weeks, months, or even years after your procedure. If you begin to notice any of the following signs, don’t wait to seek help. Call our office right away:

  • Intense pain that doesn’t go away after a few days following dental implant surgery
  • Bleeding, swelling around the implant
  • Pus forming near the implant
  • Loose dental implants in Bensalem
  • Difficulty chewing and biting down

How Dental Implant Salvage Works

Man after dental implant salvage in Bensalem

The first step is to call our office and alert us to your situation. Based on the information provided, we will work to get you in as soon as possible so we have the best possible chance of saving your smile. If it is discovered that you have peri-implantitis, we’ll simply administer periodontal therapy to thoroughly clean out the areas of inflamed tissue and minimize the potential risk of having your implant removed. The early we are able to treat the problem, the more likely we’ll be able to avoid extracting it. However, if the implant or area surrounding it is too compromised, we will need to remove them, treat the problem, and allow you to fully heal before we consider reinserting another dental implant.

Also, if your jawbone is weakened, a bone graft may be necessary to ensure it remains dense and supportive when it comes time to replace your dental implant.